Top Posters
Since Sunday
slimes slimes
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, slimes
Need help with question1.
I've showed my work for 2. so would that be the correct answer?
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 340 times
14 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Please watch the following two videos on this topic:

I'll answer soon...

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi slimes

My best piece of advice is to ignore the "quotient rule" altogether and use the product rule instead.

For example, you function is:

\(q\left(x\right)=\frac{x+3}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}\)

Rewrite it according to the laws of exponents like this:

\(q\left(x\right)=\frac{x+3}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}\rightarrow \frac{x+3}{\left(x^2-1\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}}\rightarrow \left(x+3\right)\left(x^2-1\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\)

\(q\left(x\right)=\left(x+3\right)\left(x^2-1\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\)

I think it's just easier to find the derivative of the highlighted function using the product rule instead. The quotient rule (IMO) is a made up rule for students who don't know how to work with exponents.

What do you think?
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago

What you see in blue is the simplest it can go.

slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Hey bio_man thank you so much Smiling Face with Open Mouth

Hi slimes My best piece of advice is to ignore the "quotient rule" altogether and use the product rule instead. For example, you function is: \(q\left(x\right)=\frac{x+3}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}\) Rewrite it according to the laws of exponents like this: \(q\left(x\right)=\frac{x+3}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}\rightarrow \frac{x+3}{\left(x^2-1\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}}\rightarrow \left(x+3\right)\left(x^2-1\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\) \(q\left(x\right)=\left(x+3\right)\left(x^2-1\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\) I think it's just easier to find the derivative of the highlighted function using the product rule instead. The quotient rule (IMO) is a made up rule for students who don't know how to work with exponents. What do you think?
I agree this would be a lot easier to use the product rule, but then I wouldn't really using the "quotient rule" because it is kind of the whole point of the lesson, but I could ask if I can still do that.

We don't need to simplify further, so up to green is good!
Also did you just use the chain rule to find the derivative of the denominator/v which is x/√x^2 - 1 and then combined it with -(x + 3) to get the final answer?

#2 What you see in blue is the simplest it can go.
So would my answer still be correct then without simplifying it?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I agree this would be a lot easier to use the product rule, but then I wouldn't really using the "quotient rule" because it is kind of the whole point of the lesson, but I could ask if I can still do that.

My opinion is that you can perform all derivatives without ever knowing the "quotient rule"; in fact, only in high schools have I seen this "rule" be implemented. But as they say, when in Rome, do as the Roman's do, so let's just play according to their rules.

We don't need to simplify further, so up to green is good!

Really? That's so easy then...

Also did you just use the chain rule to find the derivative of the denominator/v which is x/√x^2 - 1 and then combined it with -(x + 3) to get the final answer?

Not sure what you're asking, I did the quotient rule and all my steps were shown.

Really depends on your teacher. Why not show they my work (written obviously by you) and ask them at which step they are MOST okay with.

Let me know...
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Really? That's so easy then...
Yeah my teacher said it isn't really necessary to simplify, in university they would want you to, like simplify the whole thing.

Not sure what you're asking, I did the quotient rule and all my steps were shown.
I just wanted to clarify that you got this part of your answer by green, by finding the derivative of v, and then combined it with -(x + 3).
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Really depends on your teacher. Why not show they my work (written obviously by you) and ask them at which step they are MOST okay with. Let me know... [/quote]
In yellow, would be considered the right answer according to my teacher.
Would this mean that the answer that I did is incorrect?
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Really depends on your teacher. Why not show they my work (written obviously by you) and ask them at which step they are MOST okay with. Let me know...
In yellow, would be considered the right answer according to my teacher. Would this mean that the answer that I did is incorrect? [/quote]

The answer you wrote is not incorrect, just not simplified enough.

Also, in reference to your other questions, I hope my attachment clarifies what's up
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Hey I was right Slight Smile thank you again bio_man
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Happy to help, make sure to watch and like the videos I shared earlier.
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, slimes
sure but I don't have a google/youtube account but I will create a random one just so I can like the videos Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Appreciate that... but why don't you have a Google account?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1296 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?