n
C
z
k
bear56 bear56
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
3 years ago
With over a hundred billion galaxies in the universe. It is hard for me to believe that there is not at least one other solar system with life. Especially, when some scientists claim that they have already found some exoplanets that can be like Earth.
Read 257 times
14 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, bio_man
Not within our solar system. Given what we know about life here on earth, no other planet can sustain life as we know it. I'm open to the idea that there exists other life forms in others galaxies simply because life is more likely to develop on exoplanets than in the extremes found on other bodies in space.
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Some forms of life can be found even on Mars in the water ( ice ) that was discovered on the surface. I guess there is such possibiliy to find some planet in other galaxies  that can be similar to Earth.
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I`ve read an article about  Ariel space telescope. The mission is dedicated to surveying planets found beyond our solar system, otherwise known as exoplanets or extrasolar planets, in order to study the formation and evolution of their atmospheres. So lets see what this space mission will discover us)
https://www.skyrora.com/blog/tag/space-innovations
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Some forms of life can be found even on Mars in the water ( ice ) that was discovered on the surface. I guess there is such possibiliy to find some planet in other galaxies  that can be similar to Earth.

Water, yes, organisms no. Water and methane are mere biomarkers, but doesn't suggest life currently exists.
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I assume that some forms of live can live on some of these exoplanets that were discivered by scientists recently but I don`t expect that there live something intelligent like human life though.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
but I don`t expect that there live something intelligent like human life though.

Why not, though? Maybe intelligent life does exist on other planets, and that they are facing the same challenges we are as we discover the cosmos.
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
but I don`t expect that there live something intelligent like human life though.
Why not, though? Maybe intelligent life does exist on other planets, and that they are facing the same challenges we are as we discover the cosmos.
There is a possibility that some intelligent forms of life can exists somewhere. But if to take into consideration some of those exoplanets I have mentioned before, there is one point that сhallenges it. There is a possibility that that these planets are tidally locked to their star with a high radiation environment from the frequent stellar flares so likely no atmosphere and no life.
wrote...
3 years ago
Also consider the tilt!

The researchers found that if a theoretical twin of Earth were placed into a binary star system – where two stars orbit each other – up to 87% of them should tilt on their axes in a way similar to Earth’s. What’s more, the tilt should be as stable as Earth’s: not perfectly stable, but not wildly unstable, either. This result is significant, since Earth’s relatively steady tilt on its axis helps our world maintain a stable climate, needed for complex life to evolve.

However, not all exoplanets in double star systems have steady and stable axial tilts.

https://earthsky.org/space/exoplanets-axial-tilt-evolution-of-complex-life-earth
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
So it can possibly think that this is an Earth-alike planet. However, we should not hurry with conclusions. This planet is far away and we cannot claim for sure that this is actually an Earth-alike planet.
wrote...
3 years ago
But assumptions can be made, right? If you put it that way, everything we've learned so far about exoplanets is hypothetical, based solely on observations.
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Exoplanets were detected by special telescopes and some scientists claim that some of them are Earth-alike.  These planets are far away and this is difficult to assume that they are Earth-alike and life exists there. The only thing we can tell for sure about them it`s the size and we can just presume that some forms of life can be there. So this theory is based partially on observation and partially on assumption
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, bio_man
So this theory is based partially on observation and partially on assumption

Completely agree, there's no way of telling. You're technically using deductive reasoning to come up with the conclusion. Here's a video from our channel outlining what deductive reasoning is from a mathematics point of view.

bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Nice video, I wanna add some more information I`ve recently found. According to Kepler Data, there are about 40 billion Earth-like planets orbiting Sun-like stars, with similar sizes to our own, just in the Milky Way.
Then consider there are hundreds of billions to trillions of galaxies. Judging by this statement intelligent life can really exist somewhere
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1000 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?