× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Ursa Ursa
wrote...
2 years ago
hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but here my problem goes

"Below is a partial mRNA sequence from a mutant gene in E. coli. used to answer the following questions.
5'... ACCCGCCACGCC... 3'

This gene is a mutant variant that severely slows the growth of the bacteria. The normal version of the encoded protein should contain the partial amino acid sequence (Nterm...T-R-N-A...Cterm).  It's known that mutant forms of tRNA synthetases can charge tRNAs with a different amino acid than expected.
If a mutant synthetase gene was introduced into the E. coli, which one could produce the normal version of the encoded protein?

multiple choice

A synthetase that charges an asparagine tRNA with histidine
B synthetase that charges an asparagine tRNA with asparagine
C synthetase that charges a histidine tRNA with asparagine
D synthetase that charges a histidine tRNA with histidine"

I already got the answer from the pearson homework software, which is an absolute nightmare with these questions, but I just don't understand it. how does changing a histidine with a asparagine not effect the protein, and how was I supposed to find the answer?

the blurb for the correct answer doesn't help me much "Since the mutant sequence (Nterm...T-R-H-A...Cterm) contains a histidine instead of an asparagine in the normal sequence (Nterm...T-R-N-A...Cterm), then a tRNA is needed that recognizes the histidine codon (CAC), but can deliver an asparagine amino acid. Therefore a mutant synthetase that charges a histidine tRNA with asparagine will be needed."

My professor refuses to talk about any of the homework questions, so some help with explaining this would be great.
Source  Mastering Biology, Pearson, Practice Problem 53 B
Read 147 times
1 Reply