a
t
i
r
r
loluislo loluislo
wrote...
A year ago
I have learnt that an action potential can be produced by the reception of a neurotransmisor. Is there a direct relationship between an action potential and the release of a concrete neurotransmisor? (for example "this level of voltage leads to the release of acetylcholine, and a higher voltage leads to a different one")

Read 194 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago Edited: A year ago, bio_man
Yes, indeed there is a relationship. Neurons operate on the all or nothing principal, where a certain voltage threshold needs to be reached before an action potential can take place, which then leads to the release of neurotransmitters at the axon terminal.

Please watch these two videos in the order they appear below:

https://videos.homeworkclinic.com/watch/227/the-nerve-impulse/

https://videos.homeworkclinic.com/watch/598/transmission-across-a-synapse/

Feel free to ask further questions!
wrote...
A year ago
Thank you so much. The thing that I don't get is:

1)why does a "stimulus" open a Na+ canal. In fact what is a stimulus?
2)why sometimes the NT released is acetylcholine and other times it's, for example, serotonin
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Depends on the neuron. Some neurons are activated by touch, some are activated by light, others by chemicals (neurons within your taste receptors found in the tongue)

Again, for question 2, depends on the neuron. Natural evolved different neurotransmitters to prevent a single neurotransmitter from being the main signal.

Sorry for the short response, currently outside 😄 but I hope you get the idea
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1325 People Browsing
 109 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?