m
p
m
f
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
I find seltzer water to be bitter. I have read carbon dioxide has no PH because it's a gas. What causes carbonated water to taste different from normal water?
Read 193 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Simply blowing into water makes water slightly more acidic, since carbon reacts with water to form an acid. Hence, carbonated drinks should have an acidic undertone to its taste (I.e. sour). Maybe it's the bubbles that are manipulating your tastebuds somehow, but I'm not entirely certain
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Is there anything that can add bubbles to water that will make it more alkaline? Maybe offset the sour? I think PH7 is a bit bitter until it absorbs a certain amount of atmosphere to taste clean. Wondering what the hot spot is.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Ginger makes carbonated drinks more alkaline, hence its recommendation for stomach-related problems. Wondering if you experience the same effect when drinking ginger ale.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Ginger makes carbonated drinks more alkaline, hence its recommendation for stomach-related problems. Wondering if you experience the same effect when drinking ginger ale.

Ginger ale contains very little actual ginger. I occasionally try making my own. Shocking how much sugar it calls for. Not sure the PH level of the store bought stuff. I mean a gas that increases PH. I want it to taste like water.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Any carbonated drink you buy will have a pH less than 4 given all the acids they put in them. Perrier has a pH that's slightly higher than the rest, at 5.25. This is due to the carbonic acid formed from the carbon dioxide.

Ammonia (NH3) is an alkaline gas. It dissolves in water to form aqueous ammonia, which is also >7 pH. Of course, ammonia is toxic, so that won't help. But again, you could add slivers of ginger to help make it more alkaline, or add a compound that neutralizes the acid. That of course defies the purpose behind carbonated drinks.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1016 People Browsing
 110 Signed Up Today
Related Images