t
i
r
r
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
What directs how our body parts change shape as we age? Is that our ever changing epigenome? Why must my ears keep getting bigger and my face get narrower? Lol.
Read 165 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Why must my ears keep getting bigger and my face get narrower? Lol.

Here's what I think is happening... Your ears and nose are made up of collagen. Muscles are supported by collagen. However with age, the ability to replenish collagen decreases naturally (why? there's no definitive answer for that). The reason you're seeing your ears getting bigger is probably because the brown fat that once existed in abundance in your face is lost -- this "baby fat" (brown adipose tissue) is a sign of youthfulness. Most people after the age of 30 have very little left of it in their face, which is how many people can predict the age of individuals past 30 easier than before that milestone.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Ok, but why is having less of something making ears bigger and face longer?
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Because your ears/nose have less muscles than that found in your face, they remain the same size while the rest of your face atrophies. Thus, it is as much of an illusion as it is to say that the fingernails of dead people continue to grow after death.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Ok, gravity and collagen aside our bones change shape. I have seen skeleton time lapses and the face does change in more than skin. There must be something that signals the direction of things?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1319 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images