m
p
m
f
Geoff Kitching Geoff Kitching
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 months ago
Species which are distasteful or poisonous to predators, or carry a sting, often have warning coloration. e.g. Cinnabar moths, wasps, bees. In some cases these colour patterns are mimicked by harmless species. e.g. Some flies have the banded warning coloration of wasps.
I've recently become interested in horizontal gene transfer. My question is this:

Could the genes coding for a specific coloration have been transferred horizontally from the 'harmful' species to its mimic?

Has anybody identified and sequenced the genes in question? If so, by comparing the degree of similarity of those genes with the overall genome similarity, one would be able to answer that question.
Read 128 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 months ago
Could the genes coding for a specific coloration have been transferred horizontally from the 'harmful' species to its mimic?

From what I know, the answer is not likely. The only way for something like this to be true is if a vector species transferred the isolated gene into the reproductive system of the recipient animal, and it got incorporated into the recipients DNA seamlessly. The probability or likelihood of that occurring is astronomical and holds very little basis in biology. (In fact, apart from bacteria, there is no evidence of this in more sophisticated species.)

The phenomenon you are referring to is called convergent evolution. Convergent evolution occurs when different species, often from different lineages or with different ancestors, independently evolve similar traits or characteristics in response to similar environmental pressures or ecological niches. These similar traits are not inherited from a common ancestor but instead arise through separate evolutionary processes. The form of mimicry you describe is no different.
Geoff K. Author
wrote...
9 months ago
Thanks. Yes, pretty much as I thought. The only 'come-back' is that, in Biology one can't discount something on the basis that it is unlikely, or even very unlikely. But I agree, there are limits!
Let's hope that someone will do the relevant sequencing analysis at some point in the future, which would settle the matter firmly.
Thanks again for your reply.
wrote...
Educator
9 months ago
My pleasure!

There is always a possibility that the gene sequences responsible for the mimicked trait are similar, but its definitely not guaranteed. The sequence would most likely be similar if the two animals were of the same lineage
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  871 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 395