s
a
t
i
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
2 months ago Edited: 2 months ago, oemBiology
"Health Effects of Prolonged Exposure to Landfill Chemicals: Hydrogen Sulfide and Ammonia"
oem oem

You​
Living in close proximity to a landfill may result in exposure to the following chemical elements:
- Hydrogen sulfide
- Ammonia
What are the potential health effects of long-term inhalation or exposure to these elements if one resides near a landfill? How would continuous exposure to these elements impact the body over time?
Is there any articles related to this issue?
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions Slight Smile

Post Merge: 2 months ago

In the past, I couldn't stand the smell of garbage, I often vomited,
But now I can say that I'm immune to the smell.
What is happening to his nose sensitivity?

6:45 from video
Post Merge: 2 months ago

Read 111 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
2 months ago
Hi oemBiology

Hydrogen sulfide is the scent of rotten eggs. It is definitely considered poisonous, and smelling it definitely isn't good for you.

The clinical effects of H2S depend on its concentration and the duration of exposure. H2S is immediately fatal when concentrations are over 500-1000 parts per million (ppm) but exposure to lower concentrations, such as 10-500 ppm, can cause various respiratory symptoms that range from rhinitis to acute respiratory failure. H2S may also affect multiple organs, causing temporary or permanent derangements in the nervous, cardiovascular, renal, hepatic, and hematological systems.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2850187/

Ammonia is bad too, but we do have the ability to neutralize it by our livers.

The blood ammonia level in a healthy adult is in a range of 15 to 45 micrograms/dL.[6] Ammonia toxicity occurs when the ammonia content in the blood supersedes the liver’s capacity to eliminate it; this could be a result of either overproduction such as in congenital hyperammonemia or under-elimination such as in liver cirrhosis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK546677/ (read the part on Pathophysiology).

To understand the adaption, I found one study which came up with a possible explanation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6977057/

Those who were exposed for years to H2S were found to have elevated levels of methemoglobin. And hence the authors concluded that

The observed increase in methemoglobin concentration might be a developmental adaptation mechanism that would protect human beings and animals from the lethal toxicity of sulfur and similar compounds. H2S interacts with a number of enzymes and macromolecules such as hemoglobin, myoglobin and cytochrome C oxidase.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
2 months ago
The clinical effects of H2S depend on its concentration and the duration of exposure. H2S is immediately fatal when concentrations are over 500-1000 parts per million (ppm) but exposure to lower concentrations, such as 10-500 ppm, can cause various respiratory symptoms that range from rhinitis to acute respiratory failure. H2S may also affect multiple organs, causing temporary or permanent derangements in the nervous, cardiovascular, renal, hepatic, and hematological systems.

I definitely feel bad about workers, who work in landfill, but somehow, we need people working on landfill, so someone needs to pay this cost of living using their health, I hope there is a better solution to solve garbage issue in city, why don't people use nuclear approach to dissolve all garbage at once, which garbage goes back to elemental chemical elements, that is clear approach.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
wrote...
Educator
2 months ago
I feel bad too, but if it wasn't profitable to them, they probably wouldn't be doing it, right?

In the West, people who do jobs like these are usually compensated by pay. Technically, any time a job is taxing to one's health or is generally considered a dangerous profession are usually paid more, even when the skill required isn't anything "special". For example, bus drivers are paid well, and so are garage disposal men.

Many people in the West willingly have trucks that roam the streets for people's garbage containing metals. These metals are collected and brought to a waste management center where they are paid by the pound. Metals rarely go into landfills because they are easily recycled. Some plastics are recycled too to produce new products, but this ultimately requires a lot of energy to do, hence it's easier for manufacturers and more cost effective just to start over again with most plastics.

Garbage that is compostable is also re-used since it's full of organic material, this is often recycled as soil fertilizers and used as gardening products the year later.

However, the vast majority goes into landfills. A lot of it is incinerated to smoke, but this leads to a heck of a lot of CO2 emissions, leading to local issues like acid rain. Landfills simply provide a way to manage the volume of waste generated by communities. Burying waste in designated areas helps prevent it from spreading and taking up valuable space in urban or residential areas. Eventually, after 50+ years, that land can be used again.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1368 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741