i
r
r
Var Var
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hi folks,

I want to lyse some yeast cells at home, in order to extract the protoplasm.

I have batteries, I have a pressure cooker, and I have a microwave oven. Can anyone recommend the best way to lyse the cells and get some protoplasm reliably?

Thanks.
Var
Read 2296 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
Have you considered using a detergent?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Var Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Ideally I'd like to avoid adding any chemicals to the yeast, since the end product will be for medicinal use.
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Yeast cells have a cell-wall, so they are harder to disrupt. You could use a mortar and a solvent, like water or a little bit of rubbing alcohol.
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
What about acidophilus?
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
How so trin? Like use acidophilus to digest the cell wall or something?
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
Not sure what exactly. I am just basing it on the stand point of how it is good for knocking out yeast and fungal infections.
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
Dug this up....

Q. Can anybody tell how to lyse the yeast cells. I also like to know if zymolyase or lyticase is effective in lysing the cells. Which one is better?

A. Yes, either enzyme will lyse yeast, and seem to be equivalent in our experience. You can also use a bead-beater and glass beads for mechanical disruption.
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Dug this up....

Q. Can anybody tell how to lyse the yeast cells. I also like to know if zymolyase or lyticase is effective in lysing the cells. Which one is better?

A. Yes, either enzyme will lyse yeast, and seem to be equivalent in our experience. You can also use a bead-beater and glass beads for mechanical disruption.

Righttt! enzyme treatment does the trick, but i don't think the topic starter has those things... If anything, they can be ordered online.
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
Dug this up....

Health food stores sell digestive enzymes. Might be a weak attempt, but maybe worth a try.

Righttt! enzyme treatment does the trick, but i don't think the topic starter has those things... If anything, they can be ordered online.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1265 People Browsing
 125 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?