t
i
r
Biology Forums Biology Forums
wrote...
Administrator
11 years ago
When did teachers become the enemy

I am not a teacher nor have I ever had any desire to be a teacher. But in the interest of full disclosure, I admit I know a lot of teachers, I voluntarily work with a lot of teachers on various committees and, yes, there are even some teachers I would consider to be my friends.

I like the teachers I know, but it’s clear not everyone feels the same. However, I can’t understand why teachers are treated as though they are Public Enemy No. 1. When did teachers fall out of favour? When did it become “us” against the teachers?

Okay, so I get it. Some people get frustrated because they think teachers have it “easy.” They don’t like it because teachers “go to work from 9 to 3,” that they have summers off, enjoy a two-week Christmas holiday, get to have a weeklong break in March, don’t have to go to work when school is cancelled on snow days and they have in-service days “off.” But, given all of this, I still wouldn’t want the job.

No sir. Thank you very much, but no thanks. I’ll pass, because I know that contrary to popular belief, most teachers do not have an easy job.

I have nothing but great respect and admiration for most teachers and if you’ve ever gone into the schools, spent time there and observed what most of these dedicated men and women do for our children, I am certain you’d gain a new appreciation for them as well.

However, it seems, in general, many people have developed a profound and deep-seated hatred for teachers. They see them as leaches, feeding off the public teat that is the taxpayer purse, but seriously, that is the furthest thing from the truth. I’m not quite sure how or when this seething dislike for teachers began, but it’s certainly grown worse over the past decade and, based on comments resulting from the recent budget cuts implemented by the provincial government, the rift between the public and teachers has only deepened as many argue that teacher positions should be cut and slashed. Instead of fighting for our teachers, there seems to be a profound attitude that it’s okay to eliminate them.

But it’s not okay. In fact, it’s downright alarming. While many people in older generations will argue that there are more teachers in the system today than there were when they were in school, I encourage you to think about what today’s teachers must contend with. Beyond an ever expanding and demanding curriculum that is constantly evolving to meet society’s needs, the men and women in the classrooms today are much more than teachers. They’re also social workers, counsellors, law enforcement officers, nursemaids, mediators, advocates, friends and, yes, in some cases, they are even parents.

We expect a lot from today’s teachers, but in turn we give them little respect and support. It’s true that some teachers, depending upon their level of education, do make a good wage, but most young teachers are pulling in an average salary that’s right in line with most other professions. And it’s true that school is dismissed at 3, but in many, many cases, the work doesn’t stop there. In fact, many teachers work well beyond the traditional five o’clock quitting time that’s become ingrained in our society.

Unfortunately, despite all of this, the public only sees the 9 to 3 job because that’s what’s visible. They don’t see the many hours of marking, studying and preparation that go into each day. Many people also overlook the fact that those extracurricular activities their children enjoy so much, such as sports, yearbook, drama and a long list of other clubs, would not happen without the support and guidance of the teachers, all of which is done on a voluntary basis.

Teachers are not required to stay after school hours to coach basketball, soccer or volleyball teams. They are not required to give up their Saturdays to drive students to games or conferences. They are not made to take their evenings and weekends to work on proms or to help organize Christmas concerts or to stage school productions. They don’t have to spend nights working on yearbooks so that every child who wants a special memento of their year can have one.

They don’t have to do any of that, but they do it. And most do it freely and with enthusiasm, but their efforts go largely unrecognized or unappreciated by the public.

It is true that, unfortunately, we can all name teachers who don’t do any of this. There are some duds who don’t contribute anything extra to make the schools a better place, but — and I feel safe saying this — those types of teachers are few in numbers. However, to hear some people talk about teachers today, it’s as if they are talking about a bunch of bottom-feeding bums.

It must be disheartening for teachers to hear the public’s open disdain for their profession. They must take it personally. I know I would. Frankly, it’s disheartening to me, as a parent and as a volunteer who gives a lot of time to my local schools, because these people don’t deserve that. They deserve to be respected and applauded, not ridiculed and insulted.

Teachers worked hard and spent a lot of money to get their degrees, graduating with a large debt load, yet we think they have a free ride. There is nothing easy about going into a stressful environment every day and facing hundreds of kids, all with their own unique personalities, needs, problems, demands and issues. It takes a special person to do that day in and day out, but that’s what most teachers do.

When you, as a parent, send your child to school every morning, don’t you want to know that they are going into an environment filled with hard-working, dedicated, enthusiastic, knowledgeable professionals who have nothing but good intentions for your child?

Of course you do. Every parent expects and deserves that. So if that’s the case, why then don’t we give them the respect they deserve?
Read 6181 times
B.Sc. (Biology)