H
a
c
k
gohar90211 gohar90211
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
We're doing quadratic equations in class, and I'm having trouble understand how to graph these types of equations. I know that the vertex form is in the form of y = a(x - h) + k and that factored form in the form y = a(x - r)(x - s), but I don't get it totally Thinking Face

Thanks
Read 3636 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Standard form:

ax^2 + bx + c

Vertex form:

a(x - u)^2 + v

Factored form:

a(x - p)(x - q)

Vertex form is great for finding the vertex of a parabola, and determining its nature. The vertex, in this form, is (u, v). This tells us also that the axis of symmetry is x = u. If a is positive, then the vertex is a minimum. If a is negative, then it's a maximum

Factored form is the best for finding roots, but the roots need to be neat for it to be worth it. In this form, the roots are x = p and x = q. Not every quadratic can be expressed in this form however. It relies on the quadratic actually having roots. Factored form is also great for rational functions. e.g:

y = (x - 1)/[x^2 + 2x - 3]

is not the best way to look at this function. However, if we convert to factored form:

y = (x - 1) / [(x - 1)(x + 3)]
y = 1 / (x + 3)
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
That is the a very comprehensive explanation
 Person Raising Both Hands in Celebration
I don't feel like riding until everything blurs.

Ask Me Maths Questions

wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
It's also inportant that you know how to graph them, let us know if you need assistance with that!
gohar90211 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Yes, I'd like a little tutorial on that too. Thanks for your help mkshawty. It helped very much.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1149 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 484