i
d
d
J
PeeJay1 PeeJay1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
What is the acceptable name for CH3CH2-O-CH2CH2CH2CH3?
Read 5287 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Most of us would call it n-butyl ethyl ether. You can also call it 1-ethoxybutane.
wrote...
9 years ago
ethyl n-butyl ether (common name)

1-ethoxybutane (IUPAC name)

I'm certain that the IUPAC bean-counters would insist on "official nomenclature". However, given either of the foregoing compound names an organic chemist would be able to draw a single structure. Both names describe the same structure.

You can find software online that permits you to draw a chemical structure and then provides the IUPAC name for the structure that you have drawn.

Since this is my first post, I am forbidden by Biology-Forums Powers-That-Be to post a link. In order to circumvent this restriction l suggest that you use "chemdoodle" as your Google online search term, which should lead you to chemdoodle's "demos/iupac-naming" webpage.

If you see this message, then my subterfuge must have been successful. We live in hope.

Hope this helps.
PeeJay1 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank-you!
Can you identify what the functional group is for CH3CH2-O-CH2CH2CH2CH3?
wrote...
9 years ago
Yep. Perhaps not surprisingly, ethyl n-butyl ether contains an ether (R-O-R') functional group.
wrote...
9 years ago
Do you mean its common name in the market place? Its ethyl n-butyl ether
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  891 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 146