× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
babygirl618 babygirl618
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
13 years ago
I'm having trouble with the Blood Analysis lab can somebody please help me?
Read 6391 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
I can help you with that, which activity/question are you stuck on?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
babygirl618 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
I need help with activity 1 and 2
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Activity 1: Hematocrit Determination (pp. 143–144)

10. The hematocrit value of the healthy male living at sea level in Boston is 48. The hematocrit level of the healthy male living at one mile elevation in Denver is 55. No, the air in Denver is “thinner” (contains a lower percentage of oxygen) than it is in Boston. When the blood flowing through the kidneys is hypoxic (low oxygen level), the kidneys respond by producing a hormone, erythropoietin, which stimulates the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. If your bone marrow is producing an elevated number of red blood cells, your hematocrit is elevated. The hematocrit value of the male with aplastic anemia is 19. The red blood cell count for an individual with aplastic anemia would be lower than the red blood cell count of a healthy individual. The hematocrit value of the healthy female living in Boston is 44. The female with iron-deficiency anemia does not have as many normal-sized red blood cells as the healthy female living in Boston, so her hematocrit (packed cell volume) is lower. She is not able to make adequate hemoglobin molecules to fill her red blood cells.

Activity 2: Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (pp. 144–146)

13. The blood has settled 5 millimeters. The beige-colored portion of the tube is blood plasma.

17. No, the person with sickle-cell anemia did not show an elevated ESR. The ESR for the person with iron-deficiency anemia was higher than the ESR for the healthy individual. The menstruating female is suffering from iron-deficiency anemia, causing her red blood cells to settle. The ESR is elevated in the patient suffering from myocardial infarction (heart attack), but is normal in angina pectoris.
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
13 years ago
can you help with activity 3, 4, 5?
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
can you help with activity 3, 4, 5?

Please start a new topic.
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1286 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?