f
a
d
c
BossMan300 BossMan300
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
9 years ago
The pH inside the cell is less than that outside of the cell.
From my perspective, the inside of the cell is proton rich and would be great at accepting electrons.  I am confused as to what molecules gain electrons (reduction is gain) within the cell?
Read 2125 times
9 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
The pH inside the cell is less than that outside of the cell.

What's the reason for this? Is it only because the inside is proton-rich, as you added? I think a better question here is why is the inside more acidic than the outside.
BossMan300 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
"Intracellular pH is around 6.8 due to acid production."
Several other factors were listed that can effect intracellular pH including:
metabolic acid production, leakage of acid across plasma and organelle membranes and membrane transport processes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracellular_pH

"The normal extracellular pH is 7.4±0.1."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracellular_pH
 C. Deutsch; J. S. Taylor; D. F. Wilson (December 1982). "Regulation of intracellular pH by human peripheral blood lymphocytes as measured by 19F NMR". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 79 (24): 7944–7948. doi:10.1073/pnas.79.24.7944. PMC 347466. Retrieved 2014-08-01.

Post Merge: 9 years ago

[/quote]
why is the inside more acidic than the outside.
[/quote]
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
NAD+ gets reduced, so does FADH. Too many molecules to list.

Thanks for the answer btw.
BossMan300 Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, BossMan300
In general in life I like people who have solutions not problems.  So I will propose a solution that I thought of.  Please provide feedback.

Hydrogen's oxidation number is 0 when bonded with another hydrogen.
Hydrogen's oxidation number is +1 often when bonded with another molecule in biochemistry.

When two hydrogen's are removed from their parent molecule and they recombine they are going from an oxidation number of +1 to 0.  The hydrogen's have been reduced.  This means that the parent molecules have been oxidized, respectively. 

The extracellular space is considered an oxidizing environment.
Why?
I stated that the extracellular space is more basic (higher pH).

For the parent molecule proton hosting molecule to be oxidized.  The hydrogen must be reduced.
This process is called deprotonation.  Where is deprotonation most likely to occur?  An environment with a higher pH.  The extracellular space is able to reduce the hydrogen, causing the parent molecule to be oxidized.  Thus accomplishing oxidation of the larger molecule. 

Similar logic can be applied to the intracellular space regarding it being a reducing environment.

What do you think internet world.  I have taken no biochemistry in college. 
Post Merge: 9 years ago

any opinions on what Ca stands for at:
https://www.bio.cmu.edu/courses/03231/LecF04/Lec05/aa_titration.pdf
it is attached to the amino acids.

What does Ca stand for in this amino acid picture, I don't think its circa or ..
Answer accepted by topic starter
rsbrsb
wrote...
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free