a
t
i
r
Teddybear Teddybear
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
You are a reseach assistant at a pharmaceutical company.Your group has been asked to develop an effective laxative that 1.provides bulk and 2.is nonirritatingto the intestinal mucosa.Explain why these request are important by describing what would happen if the opposite are present.
Source  pearson international edition chapter 23
Read 1503 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Bulk (usually from high-fiber food) does not digest well in the intestines and absords water. The water softens the feces in the intestines and the increased volume of the bulk fiber stimulates the nerves of the intestines to cause the muscles to initiate a bowel movement.

Irritation to the mucosa: "Any irritation of the intestinal mucosa can result in increased intestinal permeability and consequently a dramatic increase in the uptake of substances in the blood, which normally are excluded, when the intestinal barrier is intact."
wrote...
11 years ago
Prviding bulk has the effect of stimulating the muscles of the intestinal tract to contract and push the waste through system.
wrote...
11 years ago
Have you ever taken a laxative? Sorry, had to ask. If you ever had, you want something that is gentle. No one wants their intestines to be on fire! Or have those sudden urges (hence why it should provide bulk, no one wants the runs. At least for me, if I were to get diarrhea, my body counteracts this by pulling water out of my intestines some how and making me need to urinate a lot. This, unfortunately, causes one to get constipated after diarrhea. I would imagine the bulky part of the request would be so that doesn't happen either. Speaking as one who has nearly fainted after taking a laxative and having it work, it was not a pleasant experience.
wrote...
11 years ago
1) If it did not provide bulk, then the person would have little to expel.

2) If it irritated the intestine, the person would feel discomfort and the intestine may not be able to absorb the nutrients and expel the stool.
Answer accepted by topic starter
SGENTLESSGENTLES
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 170 words.