c
l
e
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Hello everyone

This may seem a little too unsuitable for a biology blog, but I have to speak this out. My dilemma this time is concerning professors. I have seen numerous cartoons and comics made about professors and the graduate students - most popular being PhD comics - but I never for once gave it any attention and constantly thought it was just humor. For some reason, the messages behind these comics are becoming painfully obvious and I am starting to lose my patience.

I am a calm and peaceful person, but even tolerance has its limits. Why are professors, and excuse me for this unusually harsh language- jerks? I mean, are they always like this?? Just because they hold big positions and "teach" medical students / more like dictators/ and leave their work or classrooms before their students, and go home anytime they want, and get anything they want by the time they want it, and get 'departmental coffee dates -literally, the whole department meets at 10am for a huge coffee get together, EVERYDAY, and boss the little and the big and each other around allll day long, they get to still get away with their rudeness, bossiness, carelessness, obliviousness and all uncaring synonyms there exists in the oxford dictionary there might be?!?!
First semester through my master's degree, I was completely blindfolded to this sort of thing. My classmates called these things out to me. One of them told me how rudely she was treated last Fall, but I simply thought she was exaggerating. I used to look up to my professors each and every single one of them, and to their "professionalism", their high achievements and success, and dare to become just like them one day. But the more I get to know them, the worse they become. Today was the first time I was treated rudely and for something that was my own right too! We just had an exam on Tuesday, and our review session was scheduled on Wednesday during which the time slot allocated to us "the graduates" was also occupied by one of our classes. So, as a responsible student would normally do, I emailed one of the coordinators of the course we were examined for and told him about the issue. He seemed okay with it and allowed us to review on Tuesday afternoon. The chairperson, also teaching this course, saw me on Tuesday during the review. Offcourse, you'd think a review session is to look over the answer key and your mistakes and this takes time. But we only had less than 10 minutes to do that when a normal session should have lasted 25 minutes.  I just took a quick look at my mistakes and left early. However, my classmate was kicked out by the chairperson saying that her time was up when we arrived late because of another class taking up our review session. Not only did he not let her explain, but he took her paper back.
Today, we managed to postpone our clashing class schedule and went to review again. This time, the chairperson addressed me and told me ,"Weren't you here yesterday? Why'd you come again?".. The professor I emailed concerning our clashing schedule timings was standing right there! He didn't even bother explaining to the chairperson why I was there again! He stood smiling! I replied to the chairperson and explained but he didn't seem to believe me.. Until one of the other professors who had nothing to do with this course told him we had conflicting timings.
To be honest I was really offended by this "interrogation". So what if we came again? Did we harm his ego by doing that?
Not only are our classes with medical students, and we are forced to bear the same exams as them with the terrible material load and terms like diadochokokinesia!! But also this rudeness?? We are graduates for Pete's sake! we will be working in their labs! Were has the mutual respect for students gone?
Another thing about that professor that I emailed and he didn't bother defending my statement to the chairperson: He saw us in front of another class we had to attend after the review session and said, "What's wrong? Are you waiting for me to ask more questions?". I replied, " Not unless you want us to ask, then be it." He said, "No I don't" and laughed and left.
What kind of "professional" interaction is this?? 

Again, I apologize for this. I am beyond shocked and frustrated. This was the last thing I expected. Are their pitty-unions online for graduates like us? These things matter. We are paying a lot for tuition, and not for that kind of treatment. I mean, my parents don't even treat me this way - My Parents!

Has anyone been through such a situation?
Read 2409 times
2 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience