r
d
l
a
dab353 dab353
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
I completed a lab in which an isolated plasmid DNA was used for the restriction analysis using two different restriction endonucleases. One enzyme was BamHI and the other EcoRI. After performing a restriction digestion in combination with agarose gel electrophoresis:

lanes included were as follows.

Lane 1: BamHI/EcoRI Lane 2:BamHI Lane 3: EcoRI Lane 4: Control Lane 5: Marker

The marker had distance migrations from top (the well) to the centre of the DNA band as follows:

8.0 mm
9.0 mm
10.0 mm
10.5 mm
11.5 mm
13.0 mm
15.0 mm
16.5 mm
19 mm
22.5 mm

my question is: How do I calculate the molecular size (on a logarithmic scale) using the distance migrated.

Read 2847 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
The log of a molecule's molecular weight is proportional to the distance that molecule has migrated. Therefore, the first step is to generate a standard curve using molecules of know size (the molecular weight markers).

When using semilog paper (see the next page), the molecular weights (in bp for DNA and kiloDaltons, kDa, for proteins) is plotted on the Y-axis and the distance the molecule migrated is plotted on the X-axis. When generating a standard curve, you will obtain a straight line (use a best-fit line).

Once your standard curve is ready, measure the distance traveled by your molecule of interest. Find that distance on the X-axis, and go up until you intersect with your standard curve. Move over to the Y-axis and that will indicate the molecular weight of the molecule you are studying.

Use the graph paper below and the DNA gel shown to the right to determine the molecular weight of the unknown band indicated with an arrow.

wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
See if this tutorial helps you: http://info.gbiosciences.com/blog/bid/196974/Determining-Protein-Molecular-Weight-with-SDS-PAGE-An-Overview-of-the-Process
dab353 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you all for your replies! I have figured out my confusion. Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Please indulge us with your findings Smiling Face with Halo
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  772 People Browsing
 108 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?