a
t
i
r
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
Most references to creatine online are in reference to working out and recovering afterwards. But I have read it is good for the brain as well. What else is creatine required for? I know creatine levels decrease with age as well.
Read 182 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
You're right, creatine is big in the body-building community. From what I remember, it is used supplementary energy transport in certain body systems such as the heart, brain, and muscle cells. ATP is the main immediate source of usable energy in the body, but body systems that require enormous amounts of energy need creatine to help supply it to them. Also, creatine is produced in the kidneys and liver, the chemical is absorbed into cells, where it picks up the high-energy phosphate group from excess ATP within the mitochondria, then shuttles back and forth to other cells to supply the energy.

I know creatine levels decrease with age as well.

That I didn't know, but it makes sense since our metabolism slows down with age. Could it be due to a decline is creatine? That's something that should be investigated...
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
You're right, creatine is big in the body-building community. From what I remember, it is used supplementary energy transport in certain body systems such as the heart, brain, and muscle cells. ATP is the main immediate source of usable energy in the body, but body systems that require enormous amounts of energy need creatine to help supply it to them. Also, creatine is produced in the kidneys and liver, the chemical is absorbed into cells, where it picks up the high-energy phosphate group from excess ATP within the mitochondria, then shuttles back and forth to other cells to supply the energy.
I know creatine levels decrease with age as well.
That I didn't know, but it makes sense since our metabolism slows down with age. Could it be due to a decline is creatine? That's something that should be investigated...

Is creatine good for all muscles? Even muscles that don't exert a lot of energy in a short time. Namely the heart, throat, vocal muscles, muscles that keep acid in stomach, and those slower moving muscles?
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Creatine is found in every muscle (including the brain since it is a very metabolically active tissue), but in higher volumes for muscles that need a constant stream of energy. Any excess creatine is excreted from our body, or metabolized by the liver.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1378 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352