s
a
t
i
r
SpiritWolf SpiritWolf
wrote...
8 years ago
I am struggling with a question for my biology homework.

The following case study has a student working with blood samples to identify their blood types (A, B, AB, and O). Consider the situation and answer the questions.

A student is given eight red blood cell suspensions, which contain only red blood cells, and the matching serum from each sample. (Serum is blood plasma in which fibrinogen has been removed.)

She is asked to identify each of the four different blood types present. To test these samples, the only materials she has at her disposal are a sample of type A red cell suspension and the serum from type A blood.

Describe the step-by-step procedure that she must use to identify the four different blood types present. In each step, interpret what it means if the cells in the sample clump together, or if they do not clump together.

I am mostly confused on what exactly "she has at her disposal are a sample of type A red cell suspension and the serum from type A blood." means..? What is a A red cell suspension?

I already know that: Nerd Face
TYPE A: has anti-B antibodies
TYPE B: has anti-A antibodies
TYPE AB: has neither anti-A nor anti B antibodies
TYPE O: has both anti-A and anti-B antibodies.
Read 438 times
4 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
8 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free