t
i
r
ATGC ATGC
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hey, guys!

I wonder... We were doing the potato experiment a few weeks ago where the potato core was put into dH2O, 0.9% NaCl, 5% NaCl, and 10% NaCl. The potato in dH2O got fat, obviously, but I wonder what does higher concentration of NaCl do to the potato. 

I know that certain enzymes work best at certain solution concentration. Too low or too high will denature it. Should te potato lose more in 5% or 10% NaCl? What about 0.9%?

Can you please tell me what would happen if two different solutions, 15% and 20%, were added to that experiment?

Thank you!!!
Read 574 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
If you put a plant cell in water, water enters by Osmosis, then swells up. However, the cell will not burst. This is due to the fact that the cell walls are made from cellulose, which is extremely strong. Eventually, the cell stops swelling, and when this point is reached, we say the cell is turgid. This is important, because it makes plant stems strong and upright.

Basically, as the concentration of salt in each solution increases, the water in that solution is less able to move to the potato, causing water from the potato to move to the solution, decreasing its length, weight and width. Osmosis is established when a semi-permeable membrane is placed beween two solutions. In biological systems osmosis is the exchange of water between the toplasm and the surrounding medium, with the plasm membrane being the semi- permeable membrane. An example of this in my results is the test at 1 molar. In other words, it becomes dehydrated and loses water through plasmolysis. If the concentration of the salt solution (in our case Glucose solution) outside the cell is less than that inside the cell, this means that the solution is Hypotonic to the cells of the potato. The water will diffuse into the cells, making it turgid. This would explain why potato chips put into a solution of 0 molar seemed very firm compared to the potato used for 1 molar, this was because the cells of the potato had lost their turgor, and had become flaccid.
wrote...
9 years ago
If you put a plant cell in water, water enters by Osmosis, then swells up. However, the cell will not burst. This is due to the fact that the cell walls are made from cellulose, which is extremely strong. Eventually, the cell stops swelling, and when this point is reached, we say the cell is turgid. This is important, because it makes plant stems strong and upright.

Basically, as the concentration of salt in each solution increases, the water in that solution is less able to move to the potato, causing water from the potato to move to the solution, decreasing its length, weight and width. Osmosis is established when a semi-permeable membrane is placed beween two solutions. In biological systems osmosis is the exchange of water between the toplasm and the surrounding medium, with the plasm membrane being the semi- permeable membrane. An example of this in my results is the test at 1 molar. In other words, it becomes dehydrated and loses water through plasmolysis. If the concentration of the salt solution (in our case Glucose solution) outside the cell is less than that inside the cell, this means that the solution is Hypotonic to the cells of the potato. The water will diffuse into the cells, making it turgid. This would explain why potato chips put into a solution of 0 molar seemed very firm compared to the potato used for 1 molar, this was because the cells of the potato had lost their turgor, and had become flaccid.

WOW, this makes so much sense! Thank you!!!! Slight Smile
ATGC Author
wrote...
9 years ago

This is great! Thanks a whole bunch!!! Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1312 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431