i
r
ATGC ATGC
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hello!

I am asking so many questions, haha!

Ok. Can dialysis and osmosis happen at the same time?

I know it can, but I have no explanation to it. I am referring to an experiment where glucose and starch were put into a dialysis tube and glucose passed the membrane while starch did not.

Thank you!

Read 5361 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Osmosis is the diffusion of water across a selectively permeable membrane, which is a barrier that has holes large enough to allow water molecules to pass but small enough to block certain molecules like salt or glucose. Water with solutes (substance dissolved in water) diffuses from an area of lower concentration of solutes to an area of higher concentration until the concentrations on both sides of the membrane are equal.

Dialysis is the separation of smaller molecules from larger molecules by using a differential permeable membrane (like the semi-permeable membrane for osmosis). This membrane has holes that allow smaller molecules to pass while blocking larger molecules in a solution.

They sound mutually exclusive to me. Face with Rolling Eyes
ATGC Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Osmosis is the diffusion of water across a selectively permeable membrane, which is a barrier that has holes large enough to allow water molecules to pass but small enough to block certain molecules like salt or glucose. Water with solutes (substance dissolved in water) diffuses from an area of lower concentration of solutes to an area of higher concentration until the concentrations on both sides of the membrane are equal.

Dialysis is the separation of smaller molecules from larger molecules by using a differential permeable membrane (like the semi-permeable membrane for osmosis). This membrane has holes that allow smaller molecules to pass while blocking larger molecules in a solution.

They sound mutually exclusive to me. Face with Rolling Eyes

It's okay, thank you very much! Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Am I missing something? What did you figure out?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1284 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204