a
t
i
r
SaltyToothpaste SaltyToothpaste
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
On the topic of DNA polymerization, I am seeing conflicting information around.

I understand there are NTPs, NDPs, NMPs, as well as dNTPs, dNDPs, dNMPs in cells, floating around for different purposes and functions.

I also understand that NTPs are used in RNA polymerization and dNTPs are used in DNA polymerization.

When reading certain online sources about DNA sequencing, I see articles explaining the release of a Hydrogen Ion during DNA synthesis. Example:

"In nature, the incorporation of a deoxyribonucleotide triphosphate (dNTP) into a growing DNA strand involves the formation of a covalent bond and the release of pyrophosphate and a positively charged hydrogen ion"

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_semiconductor_sequencing

But, many other online sources explain that a WATER MOLECULE is released after dNTP or NTP incorporation during nucleic acid polymerization. Example:

"A hydrogen from the phosphate (–H2PO4R) group of one nucleotide combines with a hydroxyl group (–OH) from the sugar of another nucleotide. Water is produced, and the two nucleotides are officially stuck to each other."

Source: shmoop.com/biomolecules/nucleic-acids.html

So, which is it? Is a Hydrogen Ion left removed, or a water molecule? Or...both? I could not find any source that directly addresses both options.
Read 960 times
2 Replies