× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
lindsaym lindsaym
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
In a randomly mating population of mice, 25.0 out of every 100.0 mice born have white fur, a recessive trait.
     (a) Calculate the frequency of each allele in the population.
     (b) Calculate the genotype frequencies for the population.

this is what I have so far, but I'm confusing myself Frowning Face(((( I have to show all my work also.
a)Let  B = brown fur and  b = white fur. 
(BB)    (Bb)    (bb)
p^2  +  2pq  +  q^2  =  1.00

q^2 = 25/100 = 0.25
square root of q = 0.5

p + q = 1
p = 1 - q
p = 1 - 0.5
p = 0.5

so dominant B is 0.5 and recessive b is 0.5?

b) p^2 + 2pg + q^2 = 1
we know that p^2 = 0.25
2pq = 2(0.5)(0.5) = 0.50
q^2 = 0.5^2 = 0.25

Thus, the allele frequencies for the are 0.25 for the homozygous dominant, 0.50 for the heterozygotes, and 0.25 for the homozygous recessive.

that would mean that .75 would be brown and .25 would be white?
Am i doing this right?
any help would be greatly appreciated
Read 7936 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Gold Member
11 years ago
2) In a randomly mating population of mice, 25.0 of every 100.0 mice born have white fur, a recessive trait.
a) calculate the frequency of each allele in the population
b) Calculate the genotype frequencies for the population

Answer: Fr(white) = fr(bb) = 0.25, so fr(b) = sqrt(0.25) = 0.5; therefore, fr(B) = 1-0.5 = 0.5.
fifixoxoo,  goaliesmarts31
wrote...
11 years ago
First, you should always try to find the frequency of q^2 (homozygous recessive genotype) if given enough information. In this case, you are indeed given enough information since there can only be 25 individuals expressing the recessive phenotype and therefore genotype (if there was a dominant allele present, the recessive trait would not be expressed). So, divide 25/100 to find the frequency of that homozygous recessive genotype in the population.

Now, you can use this information to find all of the other frequencies, so to find q (frequency of recessive allele), find the square root of your q^2 value.

Plug in q to the equation p+q=1 and solve for p in order to obtain the frequency of the dominant allele within the population.

Now that you've found p, square that value to find p^2 (the frequency of the homozygous dominant genotype within the population...

You only have one thing left to do, find the frequency of the heterozygous genotype.
Plug in p^2 and q^2 values into the equation p^2+2pq+q^2=1 and solve for 2pq. (All you've got to do is add p^2 and q^2 and subtract that from 1 to find the frequency of the heterozygous genotype...

This is a basic explanation of how to compute these values. Sorry I couldn't give you the actual values, as I don't have a calculator handy.

It is important to know basic genetics terms in order to be able to understand this concept.

A population has evolved if there is a significant difference between the initial allele frequencies of a population and the final allele frequencies of a population. 
lindsaym Author
wrote...
11 years ago
First, you should always try to find the frequency of q^2 (homozygous recessive genotype) if given enough information. In this case, you are indeed given enough information since there can only be 25 individuals expressing the recessive phenotype and therefore genotype (if there was a dominant allele present, the recessive trait would not be expressed). So, divide 25/100 to find the frequency of that homozygous recessive genotype in the population.

Now, you can use this information to find all of the other frequencies, so to find q (frequency of recessive allele), find the square root of your q^2 value.

Plug in q to the equation p+q=1 and solve for p in order to obtain the frequency of the dominant allele within the population.

Now that you've found p, square that value to find p^2 (the frequency of the homozygous dominant genotype within the population...

You only have one thing left to do, find the frequency of the heterozygous genotype.
Plug in p^2 and q^2 values into the equation p^2+2pq+q^2=1 and solve for 2pq. (All you've got to do is add p^2 and q^2 and subtract that from 1 to find the frequency of the heterozygous genotype...

This is a basic explanation of how to compute these values. Sorry I couldn't give you the actual values, as I don't have a calculator handy.

It is important to know basic genetics terms in order to be able to understand this concept.

A population has evolved if there is a significant difference between the initial allele frequencies of a population and the final allele frequencies of a population. 

thanks so much!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1259 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?