a
t
i
r
lisalisa123 lisalisa123
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Are Caribbean based Medical school looked upon as favorably as USA based medical schools?
Read 1049 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
It all depends on the school.  People from other countries attend their medical school, and come to the U.S. to practice medicine all the time.  I have thought about this option too.  I am not sure which school to choose from though.  I have a few more years so I haven't done much research but I read about the medical school in St. Lucia and if it pans out, its supposedly a really good school and really cheap...
wrote...
12 years ago
no they are not.  They could be better but they are viewed as inferior.
wrote...
12 years ago
when i search for a doc on my insurance company's website, i avoid all doc's with degrees from med schools in the caribbean.
wrote...
12 years ago
If one's ultimate goal is to practice medicine, and these schools produce fully accredited degrees that will allow one to get a residency somewhere, why does it matter how they are perceived.  In Russia, Uruguay and many other countries, you can start studying medicine immediately after high school and finish in 6 years.  I have seen many of these doctors then pick up residencies in UK and the US at 23 or 24 years old (well ahead of their US counterparts) and have no student loans.  The average patient does not care about where the doctor went to school if they do a good job, are attentive and have a good "bed-side" manner.

If you want to go into academia, research, etc..name might be more important.  I should also think that presitgious residencies would be easier to get if you are a graduate of a name school.  However, maybe a MD will weigh in with an opinion as they would be most qualified.

In the US, we are so short of medical professionals that foreign graduates can get special immigrant visas to work in "under served" areas like Indian Reservations and rural areas.  Therefore, depending on what you want to do, I should think it would be okay to get a degree from Grenada if you wanted.  It would certainly be cheaper.  Other US-trained docs would no doubt look down on you (there can be no comparison between the resources spent on educating a US trained doc and anywhere in the Carib.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1337 People Browsing
Related Images