a
t
i
r
lisa201313 lisa201313
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Can anyone give me anykind of information about the schools and the standard of medical school education in the caribbean. Studying outside united states, will it affect the matching for residency.....any info is appreciated.

right now i am junior and i think i will be graduation sometime next yr in dec 2010.... is it better to get bachelors and go to some US med school ... since i already have all the pre med requirements just apply to caribbean med school....

i dont know if this is true or not but i heard its really hard to get residency if you go out of US for med school...... i want to be pediatrician
Read 832 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I have friends who did not get into med school in the States but were acccepted in the Carribbean and did do their residency in the States. So I think it's easier to get accepted into medical school outside of the United States.
wrote...
11 years ago
Of course they aren't as good. There are a few decent ones (Ross, Saint Georges), but even these schools are sub par. First of all, the student body is marginal. That won't directly affect you necessarily, but they talk up their Step 1 pass rates by not allowing anyone who hasn't passed a preliminary exam take the Step 1. I believe that less than 50% of the starting classes of Caribbean schools successfully passes medical school, and only a fraction of that manages to make it into US residency slots (High preference for US MD and DO residents). Almost all of these are in the poorest of residencies and in family practice/primary care. Do NOT go to the caribbean until you have been unsuccesfull in getting into DO and MD schools in the US. It can work out, but its a gamble. Remember, those schools are for profit. They are more than happy to make you repeat a year, or to let you drop out before the more expensive years.
wrote...
11 years ago
Every Caribbean medical school student would prefer to be in a US medical school.  If you do opt to go offshore, only go to a medical school recognized by the Medical Board of California ( http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html)  The MBC is the "Gold Standard" for Caribbean schools and these schools will give you a shot at any residency program.

Pediatrics is one of the nine basic specialties so you won't have any difficulty getting into a residency program.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1295 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?