t
i
r
r
Monkey_butt94 Monkey_butt94
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
If practicing medicine in California (specifically Southern California) were my endgame, how would I make sure this happened, given the fact that I were to graduate from an Accredited Caribbean medical school?

Do i pick an "easy" residency, such as Family Practice?

If i don't get residency in CA, would it be as simple as applying to job openings in california?
Read 472 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
To begin with, no Caribbean medical school is accredited by any authority recognized by the US Department of Education.  The Caribbean medical schools that allege they are accredited are accredited by an authority they formed themselves and the principal reasons were a marketing gimmick and to keep out competition.

That said, Ross University is an excellent school and one of the few recognized by the California Medical Board, which has become the gold standard of recognition for Caribbean medical schools.

Your acceptance into a residency program is based on your USMLE scores, recommendations of the physicians you encountered in your clinical rotations, the recommendation of your medical school, your grades and class standing.  The fact that you graduated from Ross doesn't mean you have to apply to a less competitive residency.  Many of Ross' graduates have been through some of the best residency programs.

You might want to review the Residency Match program and the Scramble to get a better ide of how getting into a residency program works:  http://www.nrmp.org/
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1324 People Browsing
 110 Signed Up Today
Related Images