s
a
t
i
r
ms_lazy ms_lazy
wrote...
13 years ago
During the oxidation of glucose, O2 is reduced to CO2 which diffuses out of the cells and is expired by the lungs?
A) TRUE
B) FALSE

The brain can adapt to using ketones, along with glucose, during a prolonged fast?
A) TRUE
B) FALSE

"A" I choose

The liver, skeletal muscle and adipose tissue all work together to provide fuel for energy homeostasis?
A) TRUE
B) FALSE

"A" I choose

What does "oxidative phosphorylation" of ATP mean?
A) It refers to the coupling of oxidation and reduction reactions by members of the electron transport chain to the phosphorylation of ADP to form ATP
B) It refers to the phosphorylation of glucose in the initial step of glycolysis by a kinase enzyme
C) It refers to the substrate level phosphorylation of ADP during glycolysis and the kreb cycle

(I belive its "A" not so sure)

If you skipped meals for several days, which metabolic pathway would most likely NOT occur in your cells?
A) Lipogenesis
B) Lipolysis
C) glycogenolysis
D) Deamination of amino acids

("A" I'm guessing )

The purpose of gluconeogenesis is to maintain blood glucose levels between meals to ensure fuel for?
A) Adipose tissue
B) Brain and Red blood cells
C) Skeletal muscle
D) Cardiac Muscle
E) All of the above

"B" I choose

Although fatty acids cannot be directly metabolized to form glucose, fatty acids can indirectly form glucose. How is this accomplished?
A) Increase of fatty acid oxidation during starvation increase Acetyl CoA which allosterically inhibits pyruvate dehydrohenase from converting pyruvate to glycerol
B) Increase of fatty acids oxidation during starvation increases Acetyl CoA which allosterically stimulates pyruvate carboxylase to convert pyruvate to gluconeogenic precursor amino acids.
C) Increase of fatty acid oxidation during starvation increase Acetyl CoA which allosterically stimulatles pyruvate carboxylase to convert pyruvate to the gluconeogenic precursor oxaloacetate

Read 927 times
1 Reply