t
i
r
r
tokem97 tokem97
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I was in Biology class today and we are working on punnet squares and i asked my teacher how many combination's of crosses there are in a trihybrid cross. She then told me to use my formula to figure this out, so this left me pretty dumbfounded. I do not remember being taught or given a formula to find out how many combination's of crosses there will be when given the amount of genes being crossed? any help from yall would be great
Read 736 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
trihybrid crosses can get somewhat complicated. lets say you're crossing AaHHJj  x  aahhJJ

what you need to do is take the first letter on each set of letters and go one by one through the genes until you've gone through each.

for example,
AaHHJj  x aahhJJ

for AaHHJj, you would have AHJ, AHj, aHJ, and aHj
for aahhJJ, you would just have ahJ

what you have to really do is take take the first letter add another letter onto it depending on the next allele. so AaHHJj, you take the A, then add an H, then add a J, making it AHJ. then the next one you do AH and this time a lower case j because it is different from the first one somehow.

you always want to make sure you have one of each and never repeat the same sequences twice
wrote...
12 years ago
If I understand the question correctly, the number of possible gametes  is given by the formula 2?(number of heterozygous genes), so that, since AaBbCc has 3 heterozygous genes, 2?3 = 8.  Therefore, AaBbCc produces 8 possible gametes.  A trihybrid cross of AaBbCc x AaBbCc would produce an 8x8 Punnett square or 64 offspring.
A genotype of AAbbcc produces 1 kind of gamete, since there are 0 heterozygous genes, and 2?0 = 1;  that gamete is Abc.  The cross AAbbCCDDee x AABbCCddee looks complex, but it's only a 1x2 Punnett square...
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1329 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586