× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
lgorman20101 lgorman20101
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Using the forked-line approach and given the cross between two cats with the genotypes llSsdd and LlSsDd, what is the probability of a cat having the genotype llssdd? What is the probability of a cat having the short haid, white spotted, and non-diluted phenotype? [short hair is dominant to long hair, white spotted coat is dominant to not spotted, diluted color is dominant to non-diluted coloring]

what is the forked-line method and how do i use it to solve this problem?
or is there another way to solve it?
explain either please.
Read 978 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Never heard of it - too long since I studied biology maybe.

I reckon the chance is 1/16, assuming all these genes are independently assorted.

Ll x ll ?> 50% Ll 50% ll
Ss x Ss ?> 25% SS 50% Ss 25% ss
Dd x dd ?> 50% Dd 50% dd

So that's 50% x 25% x 50%, or 0.5 x 0.25 x 0.5

You can do 3 small Punnett squares to prove those if you like.

Edit: Forked line method is explained halfway down this page.
http://www.emunix.emich.edu/~rwinning/genetics/mendel4.htm
Doesn't sound a million miles from what I've done.
OakTree
wrote...
11 years ago
well i can't do the whole forked diagram on here, but it isn't necessary. basically you know that in a test cross (ex. Ll x ll will result in 1/2 Ll and 1/2 ll) and in a monohybrid cross (ex. Ss x Ss will result in 1/4 SS, 1/2 Ss, and 1/4 ss). so determining the chance of each individual gene crossing and multiplying the three together will give you the chance of all three occuring in an individual

ll x Ll . Ss x Ss . dd x Dd
1/2 ll x 1/4 ss x 1/2 dd = 1/16 llssdd

for the other offspring if it does not specifically say dominant homozygous or heterzygous it is assumed that only one dominant allele is necessary, so in the monohybdrid cross there is a 3/4 chance of S_ (1/4 SS and 2/4 Ss) and obviously in a test cross only heterzygotes are made (and the homozygous recessive)

ll x Ll . Ss x Ss . dd x Dd
1/2 Ll x 3/4 S_ x 1/2 dd = 3/16 LlS_dd

feel free to email me if you have questions
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1267 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?