a
t
i
r
smilealways smilealways
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Also they are bred together....it is with corn kernels, purple is the dominant allele and white the recess. Also starchy kernels are dom and sweet are recess.
Read 648 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
I can show you how to set this up.  

First, you need to figure out what the gametes will be.  Use the letters P (purple), p (white), S (starchy), and s (sweet) to represent your alleles (versions of each gene).  Since both parents are heterozygous (hetero = "different" so they have one of each "version" for each trait), they would be PpSs and your cross will be PpSs x PpSs.  To find the gametes the parents can create, use FOIL - the First letter of each type, the Outside, the Inside, and the Last.  So these would be your gametes:
F = PS
O = Ps
I = pS
L = ps
Since both parents are the same, both produce the same four gametes.

Now, set up your square.  Because each parent can make four different gametes, the square has to be 4 blocks x 4 blocks:

.....|PS|Ps|pS|ps|
PS|
Ps|
pS|
ps|

Next, combine the letters from the top and side into each box.  Keep like letters together, and put any uppercase letters first, so you can keep track of dominant/recessive phenotypes if you need to know this later.

Last, figure out and count any genotypes and phenotypes for any questions you might have about expected ratios.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1282 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293