F
a
u
o
firemonkey firemonkey
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
You are working in a genetic lab with a new variety of roses. Your next cross will be a homozygous short rose bush with a red flower crossed with a heterozygous tall rose bush with white edged with red flowers.

Can someone tell me the parent?

I think its RRTt? I'm not sure though.

Tall is dominant over short!
Read 544 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Unfortunately this question doesn't really make sense. In your first paragraph, when you talk about the "next cross," are those the plants that you already have and are planning to use as the parents? Or are they the intended offspring? Also, what do you mean by "with white edged with red flowers"? Is R the gene for "red" and little r the gene for white edges? This is not indicated.

I will try to do the problem, assuming that the two bushes in paragraph 1 are the parents and you are trying to find the offspring, with r as the gene for white edges.

A homozygous short rose bush (tt) with a red flower (RR or Rr) has a genotype of either RRtt or Rrtt.
A heterozygous tall rose bush (Tt) with white edges (rr?) would have a genotype of rrTt.

So the offspring from crossing RRtt x rrTt would have a 50/50 ratio of RrTt to Rrtt (in other words, all offspring would be red, but 50% would be tall and 50% would be short)
A Rrtt x rrTt cross would produce genotypes of RrTt, rrTt, Rrtt, and rrtt (so you would have red, white-edged, tall and short offspring produced)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1040 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 422

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?