t
m
p
m
zzz1090 zzz1090
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I'm currently a freshman at UMass Amherst as a chemistry major (came here as physics but just switched last week.) My intentions were to work my way into the chemical engineering curriculum, but I realized I think it may be too much for me too handle..at least at this point. So I guess you could say I 'settled' on chemistry, assuming I could still get some great jobs if I don't end up as an engineer.
The reason that I really wanted to end up in chemical engineering was so that I could ultimately end up going to Colorado School of Mines to study petroleum engineering (not offered at UMass) and get a career through my uncle, who is also a petroleum engineer. Basically, I want to make a lot of money as soon as I can..so that I can travel and perhaps even study more of what I love later on in life.
I guess I have two questions here, to get to the point. Could I still work my way into becoming a petroleum engineer after I get my chemistry degree here at UMass? And if not, are there job opportunities in the chemistry field that could also yield a great salary? Thanks in advance.
Read 488 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
For what it's worth.....
I asked a chem eng. student about the chemistry he had to study
and he said he really did not need to know that much chemistry
because he could always hire a chemist when necessary.
He said, "They work cheap."
May have just been arrogance on his part
but probably worth checking out.

wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, bio_man
JulianDavis is generally correct. The market is smaller for Chemists and starting salaries are in the 40K range. I just graduated last year in Chemical Engineering and have to say that the program is extremely rigorous.

If you are on a Chemistry track, you will generally take the same courses up through sophomore year (minus one or two engineering ones). After that, a Chemist will take more in depth courses like Inorganic, more labs, analytics, etc.. A Chem E will take more macro type courses such as Fluid Dynamics, Mass Transfer, Reactor Design. While these courses require Chemistry knowledge, they don't require a very detailed understanding.

As too switching between the two, if you get solely a degree in Chemistry you will not be prepared for grad school in Engineering because you will not have the basis of the profession. If you want to do Engineering now, I would. I have a friend who graduated with a Chemistry degree, worked a dead end job and is now going back to get an Engineering degree. It will take him at least two years to do it... I would say try taking a Chem E class and then make your decision.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  946 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 432

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?