s
a
t
i
r
Fuaza Fuaza
wrote...
8 years ago
List two arguments for and two against the development of genetically modified (GM) food crops.
Textbook 
My Health: An Outcomes Approach

Edition: 1st
Author:
Read 259 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Answer in favor of GM foods: (any two of the following)
1. People have been manipulating food crops through selective breeding since the beginning of agriculture.
2. Genetically modified seeds and products are tested for safety, and there has never been a substantiated claim for human illness resulting from their consumption.
3. Insect- and weed-resistant GM crops will allow farmers to use fewer chemical insecticides and herbicides.
4. GM crops can be created to grow more quickly than conventional crops, thus increasing food yield. Nutrient-enhanced crops can address malnutrition.

Answer against GM foods: (any two of the following)
1. Genetic modification is fundamentally different from and more problematic than selective breeding.
2. There haven't been enough independent studies of GM products to confirm their safety.
3. Inadvertent cross-pollination could lead to "super weeds." Insect-resistant crops could harm insect species that are not pests, and insect- and disease-resistant crops could prompt the evolution of even more virulent species, which would then require aggressive control measures.
4. Because corporations create and patent GM seeds, they control the market, forcing farmers worldwide to become reliant on these corporations.
Fuaza Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I appreciate your effort even though it came a little late Frowning Face I checked your answer, and it was consistent with the answer key.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1243 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion