t
m
p
m
Pam8250 Pam8250
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Can someone please tell me why blood flow is slower in the two vessels when a blood vessel bifurcates into two smaller vessels if the radii of the two smaller vessels add up to a larger cumulative radius than the original vessel?
Read 3310 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
Is this a PhysioEx question? If so, post the question exactly how it is stated. Otherwise, reply back, I think I know what you're looking for.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Pam8250 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes this is a Physioex 8.0 exercise 5 cardiovascular dynamics

The complete question is
When a blood vessel bifurcates (splits) into two smaller vessels, the radii of the two smaller vessels add up to a larger cumulative radius than the radius of the original vessel. However, blood flow is slower in the two vessels than in the original. Why?

Also from the same exercise are two other questions I am really stuck on if would appreciate help with are

What kind of change in the cardiovascular system would result in a pressure change?

Why would such a change cause problems?

wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
Okay, do you know which activity?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Pam8250 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
The first question (when a blood vessel bifurcates) is from Activity 2 (The effect of vessel radius on blood flow)
The other two questions are from Activity 1 (The effect of pressure on blood flow)
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Fluid flow increases as the radius of the flow tube is increased.

Because fluid flow is proportional to the fourth power of the radius, increases/decreases in tube radius cause increases/decreases in fluid flow. The relationship between fluid flow and flow tube radius is exponential. We alter blood flow in the human body by increasing or decreasing the diameter of blood vessels by the contraction or relaxation of smooth muscle tissue in vessel walls. After a heavy meal when we are relatively inactive, we might expect blood vessels in the skeletal muscles to be somewhat constricted while blood vessels in the digestive organs are probably dilated.

Hope this helps.
Pam8250 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thank you very much, it does help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1030 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 432

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?