a
t
i
r
philosopherasks philosopherasks
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Hi! For a philosophy paper on mechanistic explanations I need an example of a biological phenomenon that can be due to different stochastic/probabilistic mechanisms or that is said to be produced by one particular stochastic mechanism but might also be due to other causes (that need not be called "mechanism").

What I mean by "stochastic/probabilistic" mechanism: A mechanism that in many or even most cases does not lead to the effect that it is "supposed" to produce. Example: the neurotransmitter release mechanism, cancer mechanism.

Thank you!
Read 337 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
In biological systems, introducing stochastic "noise" has been found to help improve the signal strength of the internal feedback loops for balance and other vestibular communication. It has been found to help diabetic and stroke patients with balance control. Many biochemical events also lend themselves to stochastic analysis. Gene expression, for example, has a stochastic component through the molecular collisions - as during binding and unbinding of RNA polymerase to a gene promoter - via the solution's Brownian motion.
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, philosopherasks
Thank you psyche360! That's helpful!

As far as I understand it, the stochastic nature of gene expression is due to random walk effects (right?). Is the stochastic element in balance control in stroke patients due to random walk effects, too?

In neurotransmitter release and cancer the stochastic nature seems to be different: here, different steps of the mechanism are successful but then, in most cases, the end state is not reached. For example: the Ca2+ channels open, influx of Ca2+ occurs,... but no neurotransmitter release; or: DNA is damaged, cells replication is abnormal, ... but no cancer. This is not due to random walk effects but to certain (mostly yet unknown) mechanisms or background conditions that interrupt the process (right?). Hence, one can only say "if an action potential reaches the axon terminal and the Ca2+ channels open, ..., the probability is X that neurotransmitter are released" or "if the DNA of a cell is damaged, replication is abnormal, ..., the probability of cancer is Y". And in both cases the probabilities are rather low (about 10%?). (is "stochastic" the right expression here?)

Still, in both cases scientists seem to accept that the respective stochastic mechanism is the mechanism FOR neurotransmitter release or cancer development (even though they do not produce these effects in most cases).

I am looking for further examples where scientists agree that there is a certain mechanism FOR or OF a particular phenomenon that is "stochastic" in the way neurotransmitter release or cancer development is. More specifically, I am interested in whether there are examples of phenomena that can be due to more than one "stochastic" mechanism.

Thanks for your help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1238 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4