g
L
w
m
new-york-er new-york-er
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
A nurse prepares to administer a scheduled injection of haloperidol decanoate (Haldol depot) to an outpatient with schizophrenia. As the nurse swabs the site, the patient shouts, "Stop! I don't want to take that medicine anymore.  I hate the side effects." Select the nurse's best action.
a.   Assemble other staff for a show of force and proceed with the injection, using restraint if necessary.
b.   Stop the medication administration procedure and say to the patient, "Tell me more about the side effects you've been having."
c.   Proceed with the injection but explain to the patient that there are medications that will help reduce the unpleasant side effects.
d.   Say to the patient, "Since I've already drawn the medication in the syringe, I'm required to give it, but let's talk to the doctor about delaying next month's dose."
Textbook 
Varcarolis' Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Clinical Approach

Varcarolis' Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Clinical Approach

Edition: 7th
Author:
Read 235 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
espresoespreso
wrote...
Top Poster
8 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
More solutions for this book are available here