× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
zzz zzz
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I'm a student nurse, I was wondering if it is possible for a patient that has a history of COPD who coughs up some sputum to have clear lung sounds. She didn't have in nasal canal , she breathes well on room air. Her admitting diagnosis is GI bleed. So can this patient still have clear lung sounds or are her lungs just pretty not good. (Im a first year, so Im still learning :]
Read 638 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
It's downright normal when the COPD isn't too far advanced.
wrote...
11 years ago
yes this is very good possibility a diagnosis of COPD does not NECESSARILY MEAN SOMETHING LIKE EMPHYSEMA it could be a person whom never smoked but had chronic bronchitis throughout the years i have a patient i have taken care whom falls under this realm
wrote...
11 years ago
I think the nurse need to learn to write English. I would not want you near me.
wrote...
11 years ago
If the COPD has destroyed enough Alveoli (air sacs) in the lungs, there might be reduced lung sounds due to insufficient air movement.  You need to wait until you get out of nursing school, and then take a formal course on assessing lung sounds.  You will learn to identify Rhonchi, Rales (Crackles), Stridor, Wheezes, and diminished breath sounds, among others.  COPD patients often can have "clear" lung sounds because what you're actually listening to is diminished breath sounds,not clear sounds (normal air movement).  Wait until you get a little further advanced, and you'll get more complete training on the subject.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1246 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?