a
t
i
r
DarkMarkus29 DarkMarkus29
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
I'm having trouble figuring out how to solve this genetics problem. I think I have it correctly layed out in the Punnett square but I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. Here it is.

"In a cat there are two independent inherited genes responsible for three different colors: white, brown, and black. One gene codes for pigment (P=pigment, p=no pigment) and a second gene codes for either brown or black color (B=black, b=brown). For the cross, PpBb x PpBb, what is the probability of having a white cat? __%"

My question is...what is the correct genotype that produces a white cat? PPbb? ppbb? Etc? Thanks in advance, guys!
Read 547 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Do the traits show dominance?

Anyway, you should use the following website to create the punnett square:

http://scienceprimer.com/punnett-square-calculator

If you still need more assistance, let me know.
DarkMarkus29 Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, DarkMarkus29
We literally went over this in one lab and that's all the info I have. Is there something I'm missing? I'll make the Punnett square online as well.
Post Merge: 8 years ago

My Punnett square is correct (I made it online as well). I just don't know what code will make a white cat. It doesn't mention anything about dominant or recessive. Would white be ppbb (double recessive?) or maybe PpBb (heterozygous?)?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
"In a cat there are two independent inherited genes responsible for three different colors: white, brown, and black. One gene codes for pigment (P=pigment, p=no pigment) and a second gene codes for either brown or black color (B=black, b=brown). For the cross, PpBb x PpBb, what is the probability of having a white cat? __%"

Pigment where? That's what is throwing me off. As is eye pigment?

DarkMarkus29 Author
wrote...
8 years ago
That's the same thing throwing me off too! I assume they mean coat color (fur/skin). That question is literally all they gave me.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I'm really not sure. More information is required. Apart from that, it seems like an easy question, but I'm doubting that's all the information they provided to you.
DarkMarkus29 Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Believe me. That's all they gave us. Here's a picture of the problem. And no. There is nothing else before or after it (such as instructions etc).
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
If you have no pigment, pp, you won't express color. So, find how many have pp.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1247 People Browsing
Related Images