a
t
i
r
juliejusu juliejusu
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I read somewhere that they first used parallax which makes sense but now they use radar signals. I read that radar signals travel at the speed of light and they send a powerful one out to rebound off of a planet and time how long it takes to return. If a planet was say 10 lightyears away, wouldnt it take the radar signal that long to be returned back to the original source if its traveling at lightspeed? Please help me understand this its very interesting!
Read 602 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I don't know of us using radar for anything further than the Moon.  Parallax can be used for most of the nearby galaxy, Cepheid variables and type Ia supernova for nearby galaxies, and Doppler (red) shift for further objects.
Answer accepted by topic starter
rjlenerjlene
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 180 words.