× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
wouldbe wouldbe
wrote...
13 years ago
I found this article quite bizarre coming from "doctors" as it says. It states that more doctors are looking toward purchasing an iPad to help them with diagnosis of diseases and even to see if prescribed medication would have conflicting effects with other medication.

i think this is a little too much reliance on technology. I mean the reason WE aren't doctors (yet) is because we're not fully qualified. If all a doctor is going to do is punch in words and symptoms of my condition and tell me i have a certain problem... heck i could do that at home. I would expect doctors to be able to retain most of their practiced information from Med school.. what's the point of having gone through all those rigorous years and end up relying on apps on a tablet?

http://blog.bioethics.net/2010/04/doctors-ineed-the-ipad/
Read 4598 times
23 Replies
could of, should of, would of...

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
Doctors consult information all the time, I am sure this refers to more differential type diagnoses. They could look up information about current trials, millions of things I could see them being useful for. Showing patients MRIs or other scans. It might be a bit of an expense, but what difference does it make.
wrote...
13 years ago
A doctor is a practitioner, and this entails an ongoing practice, hence the reason why they get paid big bucks Wink Face From the time of our childhood, we know that when our head hurts, we take a Tylenol and it gets better. In other words, we are experienced enough to know that Tylenol relieves head ache symptoms. A doctor is trained to know all types of medicines. You have to remember that doctors see hundreds of patients a week and they get used to knowing what is best for their patients. If a doctor can't put two and two together, what good is a doctor? I can do that at home. If they need a computer to tell them, they are no longer the know-it-all doctors we have come to respect and admire. Why go to medical school? Heck, why go to school at all?

all in all, I think it's a bad idea Slight Smile
B.Sc. (Biology)
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
13 years ago
I think this article addresses some important topics. It would really be unrealistic for a computer to replace a practicing doctor, however, there are some benefits to the use of technology in a clinical setting.

1. organization
2. environmental benefits
3. more efficient tracking of past prescribed medication/current treatments
4. advanced media such as EKG, photos, thermal attachments (if developed), etc.

I feel that it would be okay to have these tools available to doctors, knowing very well that a simple clinical diagnostic algorithm will not be as accurate as a trained professional, after all, the brain is the fastest processor ever made/created.

P.A.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
13 years ago
I just that those who think it would be a good idea are undermining the knowledge doctors possess. It's like saying a mathematician should have a calculator handy in case he/she forgets that 1 over 0 results in an error. You see where am getting at?
B.Sc. (Biology)
wrote...
13 years ago
I really don't see the problem of doctors using this latest technology. I think it makes their life a bit easier. You can't really expect them to know every little detail of the diseases and medications. Its more like they are using it as a reference...you can't expect doctors to be like robots to know everything. I think this whole idea of using iPAD is very useful for them and I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
13 years ago
I see your perspective Biology-Forums.com, but I think that any kind of professional should be able to use tools available to them to help carry out the service that they are providing. This isn't so much an ethical issue as it is a 'point of the matter' argument.
wrote...
13 years ago
I agree with some of the posters that I would feel more safe having the doctor look up information on a certain condition, however I don't think it's quite necessary to shell out for an iPad for such resource.
wrote...
13 years ago
i would rather have a doctor who would make sure he is right before prescribing me a medication than to risk my health just to conserve his ego. Medicine is always changing and so it's very important for a doctor not to rely on what he learned from medschool 20 years ago but to be constantly updated.
wrote...
13 years ago
I totally agree with karim, but what if the drug you want is being perscribed off-label? For instance, a drug that is used to cure prostate problems is also effective at preventing hair loss. How would a dcotor know this information off by hand?
wrote...
13 years ago
Doctors consult information all the time, I am sure this refers to more differential type diagnoses. They could look up information about current trials, millions of things I could see them being useful for. Showing patients MRIs or other scans. It might be a bit of an expense, but what difference does it make.

The difference is... is that a doctor is liablie for any information that they tell a patient. If you are just to look up a certain medication and something were to happen to you... then you would only have yourself and ignorance to blame.
wrote...
13 years ago
I've heard from a few med students that they use their Iphones/Blackberry's to look stuff up on the go sometimes.
wrote...
13 years ago
I remember reading this article last year, I believe its probably not the best idea to use iPads but the current system at the moment is effective at the moment
MBA
wrote...
13 years ago
I think there are pros and cons to having an Ipad.  Doctors hopefully rely on their medical training and background to make diagnosis, however, it is impossible for a doctor to know everything.  I'm not completely comfortable with an Ipad being the diagnosis method, but certainly a complimentary method.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1299 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352