w
g
e
b
firecommon firecommon
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I was curious as to when doctors know when to release a patient.

Say, for instance, a patient had many deep gashes from a stabbing or something. How does the doctor know when to release that patient? Are there certain guidelines they have to follow?

I'm writing a story, so I wanted to get my facts straight. If you're a doctor, please help me out!

Please & thank you =)
Thanks, everyone! Especially for the super fast answers! They really helped Slight Smile

Hope you all have an awesome day =)
Read 645 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
When the patient says they have no more insurance, they get released.
wrote...
11 years ago
When their insurance stops paying.
wrote...
11 years ago
they constantly have you on tests so when all the tests come up good and your gashes are fading they will discharge you
wrote...
11 years ago
When all the levels in their body are normal. Heartrate, blood pressure, temperature, blood sugar, brain activity, and that they are hydrated. As for a deep cut....after its cleaned and the stitches are in and bandaged up and all the levels are normal.
wrote...
11 years ago
When the insurance companies tell them too.........
Sad state of affairs.
Legally, they cannot be released until they are stable.......hence no longer in danger of dying when they leave.
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm not a doctor but I'm sure they go through these questions:

1. does the patient have insurance (if no, release)
2. is the patient bp (blood pressure) normal
3. is the patient still bleeding
4. if the patient stood up, would he fall down
5. is the patient dead (if yes, release)
6. can I make more money off the patient from unnecessary but marginally justifiable tests or surgeries (if no, release)
wrote...
11 years ago
In your particular case,

1. the patient would have to have stable vital signs (blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature)
2. Show no signs of wound infection / breakdown. (or be able to take antibiotics if there is)
3. Be able to care for themselves and be able to move around (if not they need rehab)
4. Laboratory studies show either normal, improving, or stable numbers (eg:  if the hemoglobin level is dropping the person is still bleeding somewhere).
5. The person is able to hydrate/ feed themselves.
6.  They no longer require IV hydration
7.  The patient or caregiver is able to care for the wounds and dressing changes and can accomplish any other treatments that are required.
8. The patients pain is controlled by oral / topical medications

At no point does the patients insurance status play into the equation.  Whether the companies want the patient discharged or not, if i determine they are not safe to let go - they stay.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1403 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 110
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?