× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
obamalai obamalai
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Ok, I know how to find protons, neutrons, and electrons for regular elements, but then you have to find the protons ( i know they stay the same always), neutrons, and electrons for ions and isotopes also, and I'm kind of confused. For example, one of the problems is (isotope): H-2.
Read 644 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I thought you just did the top number - the bottom number in the periodic table? Slight Smile
ton
wrote...
11 years ago
For the structures, you add together the relative atomic masses of all the atoms and then subtract the total number of protons present in the structure.

For H-2 given above, you need to be told the atomic mass first as it is an isotope.
wrote...
11 years ago
your protons as you know never change, so you look at the "2" in H, which means that you now have a mass number of 2. H has 1 proton, 1 neutron, and 1 electron, and it now says you have 2, so that means you have 2 neutrons. just find the atomic number of an atom (AKA its number of protons) and than find the difference between that atomic number and the isotopic number, which will give you your new amount of neutrons
obb
wrote...
11 years ago
the atomic number is the amount of neutrons
wrote...
11 years ago
The number of protons = atomic number
The number of neutrons = mass number - atomic number
The number of electrons = atomic number - charge (watch the sign)

²H has one proton and one neutron (and one electron if uncharged).
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, jun6oo
The atomic number, Z defines how many protons are in an element.

So for Carbon, which is the 6th element, you know that it has 6 protons, and thus 6 electrons, to balance the positive Columbic charge, making it neutral.

Atoms of the same element have the same number of protons, yet may have different masses.

The atomic mass number is given by A.

A = Z + N

Now remember, elements are characterized by Z, the number of protons, but they may have varying neutrons leading to the differences in mass. Subsets of elements with the same Z but differing A (atomic mass) and n (neutrons) values are called isotopes.

ANZ

I'll do an example taken from the Materials Science course from Edx by MIT.

Chlorine has two isotopes, 35Cl and 37Cl. For the anion Cl, of the isotope 37Cl, specify the following:

number of protons, np = Cl's atomic number, Z, is 17, on the periodic table, thus there are 17 protons.

number of electrons, ne = To balance the charge, there must be an equal number of electrons. However, there is a twist in this problem. 37Cl has a negative charge, as it gained an electron, so instead of the expected 17, it is 18.

number of neutrons, nn= Since we know the formula A = Z + N, whereas A = 37 because of the isotope 37Cl, the placement of the 37 is the atomic mass number, A. Z, the number of protons is 17. 37 = 18 + N

The number of neutrons, n = 17

While all the answers above have merit, you want to quantitatively base your answers so you know exactly where you derive your answers, and can quickly and easily check them.

Now try and do the problem with deuterium.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1257 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204