× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
rjedlicka rjedlicka
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
e.g the reasons for perforated end walls,,sieve plates,the reason for sieve elemnts to be joined end to end,advantages of mature sieve elemnts having no nucleus and few organelles and the reason for a companion cell....this will help me out a lot thnks ppl
basically all im asking is for explanation of the examples i have given ....as in why they are there and what advantages do they bring
Read 680 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
All these can be answered through my biology textbook Face with Stuck-out Tongue
Here maybe this will help you understand the phloem better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phloem

Umm if you could be more specific in what you were asking, I could probably answer more efficiently.
wrote...
11 years ago
Reasons for perforated end walls and sieve plates: plant cells are surrounded by a more or less thick cell wall that in a more or less degree makes it difficult for water and nutrients to go from a cell to another one. So cell walls are thinned (perforated) in some parts. This also eases the ability of callous proteins to block the perforations when needed (usually winter time)

No nucleus: basically it's just in the way, so they get rid of it. Organelles are put along the cell membrane to easy up the flow of water an nutrients.

Companion cells: They are formed by mitosis of the sieve element and are nucleated, they have lots of relatively large plasmodesmata that connect them to the sieve element so they can exchange mRNA and otehr molecules, as the sieve element is unable to manufacture them without a nucleus

hope it helps you
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1242 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370