× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
tonya1807 tonya1807
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
about the same water concentration as human body tissue. explain how the use of distilled water in place of this saline solution would be expected to upset the patients homeotasis. your answer should refer to the process of diffusion
Read 2900 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
this was the answer i wrote for "Is NaCl permeable to a cell?"in the biology section. it kind of answers your question as well:"think what you are asking is can NaCl move in and out of a cell via diffusion (passive transport) i believe the answer is no. in a solution of water the ionic bond is broken and the Na+ and the Cl- are free in the solution and both of these must be actively transported across the cell membrane. Which is why it is important to use normal saline(a solution of salt and water which is equal in osmolarity to the human body) when give fluids directly into the body. too much salt in solution dehydrates the cells and too little salt causes the cell to swell up."  just quoting myself here

in the case of distilled water the process of osmosis(difusion of water) would move the water into the cell in an attempt to equalize the salt  concentration and in the case of the red blood cells they would swell until lysis occurs (aka the cell bursts)
wrote...
11 years ago
Hypotonic solutions have fewer extra-cellular ions per unit volume than intra-cellular ions. Thus intracellular ions diffuse out of cells in an attempt to equalize the ionic balance.
This leaves the cells with too much water relative to the ionic content and disrupts the cellular metabolism.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1248 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?