m
j
c
tommyt_ tommyt_
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Slight Smile
I'm not asking you HOW to convert.. I'm just wondering WHY we do it, but thanks for the answer. Slight Smile
Read 505 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
If you're suggesting a measurement is a measurement, you'll get no argument from me.  With that said, there are applications where radians are simpler to work with.  For example, in the MacLaurin series for the various trig functions, the variable is measured in radians.  Take the cosine function, for instance:

cos(x) = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/4! - x^6/6! + x^8^8! - ....  <<< x in this equation is in radians
wrote...
12 years ago
This is no official answer but, for me, I really enjoy working with radians. After doing several years of calculus I've become intimately familiar with the unit circle and really appreciate being able to see angles as relative to a circle. It all ties together with the (x,y) coordinates and sin being the y, cos being the x, and tan being sin/cos, i.e. y/x. Just makes it simpler! Once you can remember the different benchmarks (e.g. 2pi/3), it is so much fun Smiling Face with Open Mouth
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  832 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 436