s
a
t
i
r
riptor riptor
wrote...
8 years ago
After 1808, Southerners developed the internal slave trade.  Why did it develop, how did it operate, and what were its effects on whites and blacks?
Textbook 
Out of Many: A History of the American People

Out of Many: A History of the American People

Edition: 5th
Authors:
Read 162 times
1 Reply
- 1st year history major
-- "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
4 months ago
After the international slave trade was abolished in 1808, the Southern states developed an internal slave trade to meet the growing demand for enslaved labor. The internal slave trade was the mercantile trade of enslaved people within the United States, and it was most significant after 1808. Historians estimate that upwards of one million slaves were forcibly relocated from the Upper South to the territories and then-new states of the Deep South. The trade was driven primarily by differences in the marginal productivity of labor, which were based on the relative advantage between climates for the production of staple goods. The trade was strongly influenced by the invention of the cotton gin, which made short-staple cotton profitable for cultivation across large swathes of the upland Deep South. The internal slave trade was characterized by brutal conditions, as enslaved people were forcibly separated from their families and sold to new owners in different parts of the country. This led to the loss of cultural and familial ties and contributed to a sense of isolation and despair among enslaved people. The internal slave trade also had a profound effect on the lives of white people in the South, as it reinforced the idea of white supremacy and contributed to the development of a distinct Southern culture that emphasized the importance of white power and the subjugation of Black people.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1294 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741