a
t
i
r
r
miharu miharu
wrote...
11 years ago
this is about gel electrophoresis, and on the worksheet i have there is this question Why undigested plasmid lane should not be used to determine plasmid size as opposed to the digested one in another lane of the gel ?

any help appreciated greatly
Read 724 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
smachel Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I think it is because the undigested plasmid would still be in a circular shape
smackerish Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Aha!  That's an excellent question - your instructor is doing a good job.  There are a couple of factors involved but it boils down mostly to structure.  Running DNA across a gel involves the DNA fighting its way through a mesh-like physical barrier of interlocked proteins or the equivalent, right?  The smaller pieces move faster than the bigger pieces because it's easier for them to find a pathway through the mesh.  Now consider a plasmid.  It's a circular piece of DNA, right?  In terms of 'practical size', it's going to move though a gel differently when it is a loop than if it was cut and stretched out as a line.  It's not even that simple, either, because you remember that DNA has secondary structure, etc., right?  So the simple loop of a plasmid may be twisted up in the same way that you can take a wire loop and twist it so that it becomes 'super-coiled' and looks like a tightly-packed set of smaller loops.  This will make it run differently from a normal loop, too.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  786 People Browsing
 113 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?