a
t
i
r
krausy22 krausy22
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Hey Everyone! This isn't a homework question, just a girl curious for answers! (And hoping some of you can answer it for me!)

I've been reading up about the anatomy of the foot in relation to running. I came across a lot of information telling me that traditional running shoes are actually bad for us. A lot of runners (competitive and amateur) are saying that the five-finger shoes are actually better for you because they allow your feet to actually feel the ground without getting hurt. The also say that they "take away" injuries usually associated with running, and can actually help a person's gait and posture.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what they know about all this? Whether from personal experience, research, or whatever! Also, are the shoes something to look into getting for running?

Thanks for any answers!  Slight Smile
Read 869 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
I've been reading up about the anatomy of the foot in relation to running. I came across a lot of information telling me that traditional running shoes are actually bad for us. A lot of runners (competitive and amateur) are saying that the five-finger shoes are actually better for you because they allow your feet to actually feel the ground without getting hurt. The also say that they "take away" injuries usually associated with running, and can actually help a person's gait and posture.

Very true, indeed! Think about the difference between a glove and a mitten. With gloves, you can grasp almost anything without any trouble, whereas with mittens, you may have a hard time holding onto objects, especially when it's cold outside. However, this doesn't mean mittens are bad for us, it's simply means that five-fingered gloves are better at grasping objects. The same logic applies with conventional shoes and the open-toe shoes. When it comes to walking and exercise, five-finger shoes grip the floor better because it provides more traction when stepping on the ground. More of your foots' surface is in contact with the floor so when you run, you push off the floor with more force. This is the same reason why a bare-footed person is quicker off the line without shoes than is a person wearing shoes. The reason why they aren't used for every life-time activities is because they are unsafe relative to the conventional closed-toe shoes. When you're in the lab, you're asked not to wear slippers because you could get chemicals spilled on unprotected skin; the same logic applies to open-toe shoes and using them in public areas. Another point is that the open-toe concept are lighter and so are more convenient during exercise, but most running shoes designed to do are ergonomically designed to fit whatever activity you're doing.
DJ
wrote...
12 years ago
Okay, these are super cool:

I say someone wearing these in public and I thought they looked kind of silly Face with Rolling Eyes But I bet they are super comfortable. They are kind of like Crocs (sold in Canada). At first, everyone thought they were silly, but then everyone started wearing them. What's better than walking on sponges lol I bet every household has at least one pair. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's these:

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1256 People Browsing
Related Images