j
s
d
J
illestchemist illestchemist
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
I had an exam and the question said write the ppt reaction for barium phosphate. I answered like this,
 H3PO4+BA(OH)2 ---> BA3(PO4)2 + H2O  
But the lecturer said a ppt reaction product must not contain a liquid, is that true? What will be the net ionic equation in this reaction?
Read 967 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Of course, it would be nice to get the symbols correct.  Barium is Ba.  And "yes", it is possible for some acid/base reactions to produce an insoluble product.  A better definition of a double replacement reaction, of which acid/base reactions are a part, is that it produces an undissociated product.  Now, that can easily mean a solid precipitate, since it is undissociated.  But H2O is also an undissociated product and water is frequently the only product of an acid/base reaction.  So in essence H2O is the 'precipitate".  Your lecturer is being a bit overzealous in discounting liquid products.

HCl(aq) + NaOH(aq) Rightwards Arrow NaCl(aq) + H2O(l) .... water is the "precipitate", the undissociated product.

In your reaction there are two undissociated products.
2H3PO4(aq) + 3Ba(OH)2(aq) Rightwards Arrow Ba3(PO4)2(s) + 6H2O(l)

When we write the net ionic equation we must remind ourselves that phosphoric acid is a weak acid and not dissociated to any great extent.  Ba(OH)2 is a strong base and what little dissolves dissociates completely.  The catch is that barium hydroxide is not very soluble in water.

The net ionic equation will look like this:
2H3PO4(aq) + 3Ba^2+(aq) + 6OH-(aq) Rightwards Arrow Ba3(PO4)2(s) + 6H2O(l)

=========== Follow up =============

Trevor is quite correct in that reacting two salts can more easily produce barium phosphate, but I think that somewhat deviates from the intent of the question.  The question, as I interpret it, deals with a precipitate forming in an acid/base reaction.

Another possibility is the reaction between sulfuric acid and barium hydroxide.  Sulfuric acid is a strong acid, and of course, barium hydroxide is a strong base.  Not a very soluble base, but what little dissolves dissociates completely.  H2SO4 and Ba(OH)2 will make insoluble BaSO4.
wrote...
12 years ago
I am not sure about the restriction on a liquid. But it is not a good idea to start with an insoluble barium salt -  ( Ba(OH)2 is sparingly soluble). I would much prefer to go the route:
 3BaCl2(aq) + 2Na3PO4 (aq) ? Ba3(PO4)2(s) + 6NaCl(aq)
Net ionic equation:
3Ba2+ (aq)  + 2PO4 3- (aq) ? Ba3(PO4)2 (s)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1578 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 447