t
i
r
BlueMoon BlueMoon
wrote...
13 years ago
Hi,
I have 2 questions that i need help with:

How does the cycling of a harmful element compare to a biogeochemical cycle?

What can biodiversity and biomagnification tell you about the biosphere’s state of equilibrium?

I don't understand them.

Please help
Thank you!
Read 6782 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hey BlueMoon,

A biogeochemical cycle or nutrient cycle is a pathway by which a chemical element or molecule moves through both biotic (biosphere) and abiotic compartments of Earth. Generally, the word biogeochemical cycle is just a big word for “chemicals of the living Earth”. The cycling of a harmful element generally follows the same path, that is it moves through the biotic and abiotic compartments of earth. For instance, a cow eats sulfur-rich contaminated grass - the cow is the biotic factor. It that excretes this chemical in its feces where it can travel in the water or remain in the soil. Via condensation (water becoming gas), it goes into the atmosphere; precipitation (rain) completes the cycle as it is now acid raid (containing sulfur).

Biomagnification is the increase in concentration of a substance, such as the pesticide, that occurs in a food chain. This suggests that all the trophic levels (energy levels) in an ecosystem are connected. That is, something that occurs on the lowest trophic level will amplify and affect higher orders in animals belonging in higher trophic levels. This state of equilibrium is essential for the survival and growth of organisms at all levels.

Get it?

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1331 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293